Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Scott Pilgrim

    
Volume 1 of the Scott Pilgrim series         




Scott Pilgrim series
1. Scott Pilgrim is a 23 year old that lives in small apartment in Toronto with his gay roommate Wallace Wells. He plays bass in the band Sex Bob-omb. Also in the band is, Stephen Stills who plays guitar and Kim Pine who plays drums. He just started dating a 17 year old high school student named Knives Chau. His friends don’t approve of his relationship with Knives being that there is such an age difference but Scott sees no problem because they don’t do anything besides talk. One night Scott has a dream about a girl on rollerblades who he has never seen before. After these re-occurring dreams, he actually sees her in person and finds out she just moved to Toronto from New York and her name is Ramona Flowers. After Scott tries to meet her again, he gets an email from someone named Matthew Patel, but he just skims through it and pretends like it’s junk mail. Sex Bob-omb is getting ready to start playing at their show and Matthew Patel descends upon the stage and introduces himself as evil ex #1 to Ramona. They start battling in a musical video game style and Scott ends up defeating Matthew, which then leaves a handful of coins. At the end of the book, Scott and Ramona decide to start dating if Scott agrees to defeat her six other evil exes. Scott then asks if Gideon is one of the evil exes, her head starts to glow. The main characters in the first book are, Scott, Wallace, Stephen, Kim, Knives,  Young Neil and Ramona. (not in the order of importance)

2.The creator of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is Bryan Lee O’Malley. He got the inspiration for the series after hearing the song called “Scott Pilgrim” by Plumtree. There isn’t much to the song, but the lyric “I’ve liked you for a thousand years” is what inspired him. Bryan Lee O’Malley, aside from being a cartoonist, is also a musician under the name ‘Kupek’. Before he got his own work published, he illustrated for the miniseries Hopeless Savages: Ground Zero which is published by Oni Press. He also did the lettering for various Oni Press comics. His first graphic novel was called Lost at Sea which was published in 2003. O’Malley created the cover work for the video game called Fez. His next graphic novel is called Seconds which will be released in 2013.

3. I think the image dominates the text. I first look at the images before I start reading. The artwork looks more cartoon-like than realistic. I think with this way of illustrating it shows a more timid feeling especially with it being just line drawings in black and white. I think it being drawn unrealistic makes it easier to see their personalities through image.
'
4. I like that it’s just black and white line drawing and there’s no color added in. I feel like I’m focusing more on image & story instead of the color. I think the way he illustrates is effective and goes hand in hand with the story.

5. In this time period, there is a lot of superheroes and I believe that in some aspect Scott Pilgrim is a superhero. He has to defeat the the seven evil ex-boyfriends of Ramona Flowers in order to win her over.

The Scott Pilgrim series was made into a movie in 2010 called Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. The movie stayed very close to the series, from the dialogue to the way the characters looked.




5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun story. I saw previews for the movie but never saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading it. I wish I had given myself enough time to read all of them. I'll definitely finish the series asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to know more of what it was in this book that you loved. Why is it an enjoyable read? What appeals to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the simplicity of the story is what got me. Scott Pilgrim I believe was a cross between a superhero and prince charming. He defeated the "villains" while trying to win a girl's heart. I also loved the video game style battles and the lack of color got me to focus on the content of the story.

    ReplyDelete